11 June 2007

Irvine is largely caucasian, with a lot of Taiwanese etc asians too. But there are a lot of Iranians --they prefer to call themselves Persians-- in the area, and last Norooz the local Persians paid $10,000 to put up "Happy Norooz" banners on city poles. This was their new year, and its around the spring equinox.
Kinda surreal with Bush trying to drum the WWIII (or is it IV?) with them at the same time.

If you drive a bit up the 405, you come to the largest concentration of Vietnamese outside Vietnam. Good pho' them. When I taught (computer science) at UC Irvine there were a lot of them. As a descendent of poor immigrants myself, I think this is very cool. Strange language though, and they actually can put punctuation on top of their punctuation.

Over in Turtle Rock, there's a lot of Hebrews, too. But they don't make food as tasty as other ethnicities. Though I am partial to gefilte fish with horseradish.
(But give me sushi any day!)