09 March 2011

Domscheit-Berg writes:

Julian was engaged in a constant battle for dominance—even with my cat, Mr. Schmitt. Mr. Schmitt is a lovable, lazy creature, a bit shy, with gray-and-white fur and an extremely laid-back way of walking. Unfortunately he also has a neurosis stemming from the time when Julian lived with me in Wiesbaden. Julian was always attacking the poor animal. He would spread his fingers into a fork shape and pounce on the cat’s neck. It was a game to see who was quicker. Either Julian would succeed in getting his fingers around the cat and pinning it to the floor, or the cat would drive Julian off with a swipe of its claws. It must have been a nightmare for the poor thing. No sooner would Mr. Schmitt lie down to relax than the crazy Australian would be upon him. Julian preferred to attack at times when Mr. Schmitt was tired.

Cut me a break. I have a cat now and had one for 18 years. Cats like to play and mock-fights are part of catplay. My current cat gets bitey in the AM for about fifteen minutes. Sometimes I play with him, but generally I make us stop when he draws blood. Its a cat thing. Its more fun than playing with a balled up paper or twine. Sometimes recently he just starts biting my wrist --maybe wanting me to play. And the wrist is a neck. (Nevermind the Puppeteer similarity.. a scifi ref). And cats always appear laid back except when they're stalking etc; that does not mean they don't want to play. Cats think you have fur like them so the claws and teeth shouldn't hurt as much; their fellow kittens had no problem back then.

Next D-B is going to claim his cat has PTST and file a lawsuit with extradition to Germany...