23 August 2005

High energy hobbies.

For a few years, I've been into radiation. Got a few Geiger-Muller counters, ranging from
a $10 russian model to a $150 computer-linked model I got on the excuse that I was
doing cryptography, and wanted to play with true random number generators. Also
a bright yellow CDV-700 from the cold war, as old as me (born 1964).

Recently I made an x-ray generator using ignition coils and a light dimmer and some
old vacuum tubes. Made a radiograph with it. Puts out about 5 mR/hr, which is
not much, and its very soft x-rays besides. But it took a while to get over the fear
of high voltage. At work we use 2000 volts, and enough capacitance (ie stored
energy) to stop or start your heart, and that may have helped. Also a friend
dying (and killing himself before he decayed too much) helped. Also seeing my
mother in law decay from Alzheimers. Best to go quickly. Peace be with you,
Hunter S. Thompson.

Also recently into high-energy chemistry. "Volcano mix" my son calls the homemade
gunpowder, and I've made more brisant things, which I'm very careful with. Impressed
myself by shattering a 5mm clamshell with a gram of fluffy powder, ignited with
a bit of old hair-dryer nichrome and a PC power supply, from a distance.

Maybe its because my mother studied chemical warfare when she was gestating me,
so my ROTC dad could finish his law exams. Or maybe its because I'm just a kid
with discretionary income.

Hell, I've made my own yellowcake from rocks I got in the Mojave, and I was nervous
about using some drain cleaner aka sulphuric acid. But caution and respect are
useful traits.

Here in Irvine, bb guns are illegal, and in California, blowguns are illegal. You know
all those drive-by blowgunnings.